Author Topic: Ares A-Class tires - Odyssey Hazard Lite rims  (Read 2208 times)

Offline jamminbmx

Ares A-Class tires - Odyssey Hazard Lite rims
« on: December 13, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »
Hi all!  I am new here and just getting back into flat after 20 years off :)

Still have my old WTP Stud running ACS True 100 tires.

I would like some new ones.  Looking at Ares A-Class 1.9 (folding or wire bead).  The info says they are optimized for 22-25mm rims.  My rims are 32mm wide.

Does anyone have experience with running the A-Class with wider rims?

Cheers!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Ares A-Class tires - Odyssey Hazard Lite rims
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 01:51:45 PM »
Hello, very nice that you are riding again!
I have not used the Ares tires so far but they are quite common. Narrow rim below 30 mm are not, so I assume many riders use these tires on wider rims. I am pretty sure it will work but of course cannot guarantee.
As far as I know Ares hardly provides any warranty. This is not so good considering that the tires are expensive. I would say there is hardly any tire on the market where you cannot find someone who had issues with. So from that point I would say give it a try!
Other options could be the Odyssey Super Circuit or Heresy tires. I myself use Maxxis tires at the moment. I had some issues but less than with other tires (KHE Mac or Mitas Dom) so far.

Offline jamminbmx

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 02:32:14 PM »
Thanks DC!  I don't have much clearance in my forks (oldschool!) so the ACS True 100 is as big as I can go.  That is 52mm width...the Ares should fit but the Heresy will be too large.  Saw a review of them on IGI youtube.

The Super Circuit looks cool!  But again 2.1 will be too big...1.75 seems thin?

I think I will try an Ares...like you say...not everyone runs tiny rims!

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 07:17:04 PM »
Dont go with the ares tires if you are getting back.
They are good tires but there might be a possibility to explode and this has happen a lot with wider rims and ares tires.
I recommend

Heresy 1.90(similar size like the ares 100)
Eclat mugen
Whats your forks?
If you go with the ares 1.90 go with the steel version.

Offline jamminbmx

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 10:22:30 PM »
Cheers! I have KHE alloy forks.

That Eclat Mugan looks good and my local shop stocks Eclat.

Maybe that is the one!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 10:24:03 PM »
if you get Ares 1.9 make sure u get the steel bead if using a wide rim... the kevlar version will pop off wide rims. already been down this path with the gsport birdcage rims (>30mm)

I agree that 1.9 heresy may rub your fork, but you could always go for the 1.75 version which is still a larger inflated size than every other 1.75" tire

I agree with you about the odyssey super circuit...there is not a good in between size. I tried both sizes and neither was good for flat

The eclat could be good. I dont' think you can go wrong with the 1.9 steel ares tho
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 06:41:59 AM »
if you get Ares 1.9 make sure u get the steel bead if using a wide rim... the kevlar version will pop off wide rims. already been down this path with the gsport birdcage rims (>30mm)

I agree that 1.9 heresy may rub your fork, but you could always go for the 1.75 version which is still a larger inflated size than every other 1.75" tire

I agree with you about the odyssey super circuit...there is not a good in between size. I tried both sizes and neither was good for flat

The eclat could be good. I dont' think you can go wrong with the 1.9 steel ares tho
My experience is Ares Kevlar explode with Sun Envy but not with Alienation Malice or Mischief...

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 12:49:18 PM »
Mine explode with the malice.
It was old tire though.
Psi was 110

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
This is really a pity to hear.  I mean can't they just produce a tire that is good for any common rim? And when the steel version is better in that way, it looks like the diameter of the kevlar ring in the foldable version is just too big. So it could be solved...

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 05:34:59 PM »
Mine explode with the malice.
It was old tire though.
Psi was 110

Hey Sakis, I  had a similar issue yesterday with my Kevlar Ares 1.9 on the Malice, but it looks like the sidewall tore

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 07:55:16 PM »
Yo Dax
Just go buy the eclat tires and test them if you want to be lower for center of balance.
Or even the heresy 1.90 that I ride and give them a go.
I have an ares tire also as back up but I will put it in the front with 80 psi max at some point.
I don’t ride frontwheel anyway.
Those tires can’t hold more than 100 pressure.
Malice is a narrow rim it’s not a wide one.
I think ares are just for Japanese riders or below 150 pounds.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 07:07:48 PM »
I have gone back to the ARes kevlar. they are the best riding tires and am making sure that I do not ride old ones that could be "dry-rotted" making them easier to rupture. There heresy kevlar was absolute dogsh*t as it had bulges in it that you could see when spinning it--not riding that crap. I'd like to try Eclat but really only want to run kevlar bead tires nowadays

Offline gerpaha

• geometry dash subzero
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 02:24:35 AM »
I have gone back to the ARes kevlar. they are the best riding tires and am making sure that I do not ride old ones that could be "dry-rotted" making them easier to rupture. There heresy kevlar was absolute dogsh*t as it had bulges in it that you could see when spinning it--not riding that crap. I'd like to try Eclat but really only want to run kevlar bead tires nowadays
When are you going to try the Eclat but really I just want to run kevlar bead tires right now?